Conclusion

The closure of designing my underground house began with making rendered plans, sections and street elevations showing in habitation and vegetation. This was a long process and it involved sketching human activities around the house. The next step was to make the model from mill board and card paper. I learnt how different levels were connected to each other and what were the structural elements that bound the three levels together. The process was long and tenuous and it involved making a lot of details like trellis and jack arches. This followed making an exploded axonometric model in Sketch Up. … Continue reading Conclusion

Spatializing Memories

Further development of the house meant for my parents, my brother and I, with the opportunity of providing a comfortable stay to my frequently visiting grandparents, has finally met with a draft that satisfies me. It takes off the initial pressure of thinking of each and every members liking and disliking in terms of the kind of spaces and volumes each preferred. With the change in the orientation and size of the terrace on the -3M level, a new opportunity of having a terrace overlooking into a courtyard has emerged. These overlooking masses remind me of the description of my … Continue reading Spatializing Memories

Articulating childhood home

The childhood design process has come to an end after doing a lot of processes. The past few weeks we were making our childhood home more organized and then further articulated building blocks by playing with their volumes and tried adding different windows and building elements. Though it was a bit hard to intervene in the core idea and then also organize building blocks appropriately.   The size of the pit was comparatively big than the rest so I have stacked both the building block on the diagonal corner and I have connected two big courtyards with a narrow courtyard … Continue reading Articulating childhood home

Articulation

In the past weeks the design was to be articulated. Articulation of different spaces was explored through different sections and elevations, like how the spaces will come together and how the inhibition would happen. Particularly in my design this helped me in thinking about different spaces like how the two major facades will be seen in the spaces, as it has a continuous wall forming across the double heights as seen in the above section FF’. Sections helped in articulating, but after making a 1:75 model there were surprises that came across to me while making it. Few things could … Continue reading Articulation

Inhabiting

This last week particularly was hard for me to work because I was happy with what I had and had no clue how to take my design forward. The design and the place of the space I kept almost same but to make it more interesting I had to play with volumes and the sizes of the space especially double heights. Double heights can create the appearance of a more compact environment. The two double heights of my home gives a different effect to the space. Starting with the ground floor there is a double height which opens to half … Continue reading Inhabiting

Childhood Home

So finally we reached to the end of this module with a final design of our childhood home. This long had so much to learn, I learned new techniques, new mediums, etc. during this whole process. Starting from the neighborhood map, novella, diagrams of the house we imagine so many different iterations of plans and after all this process n learnings the final week we had to work on our own to complete the deliverables. Deliverables includes, plans, sections and elevations, 1:75 cardboard model, 1:50 exploded model, neighborhood map , views (sketches) of the house and an evolution video of … Continue reading Childhood Home

Merging changes

 After a review, there were some changes to make in the design. In review, I got new directions to work on. While following those new directions it was also important to hold on to the old ones. Since I was working on plans and sections, it was difficult to merge directions. So I first started with making with watercolour and allowed medium to suggest changes. And then after that, I tried to show those changes in plans and sections with inhabitation. The limitation of the 2D medium encourages me to work with a model of the new childhood home. Working … Continue reading Merging changes