After I arrived at a design for midterm, it was extremely difficult to change it. Since I was happy with what I had, I was unable to see anything different. I struggled for quite a while, but I was able to break out of my rut with feedback from my tutors and peers. Since my design had a very strong sense of symmetry, I thought disrupting it would result in chaos and completely shatter it. However, I had already reached this conclusion without having even attempted it. After introducing some changes, I found that I liked it more. I realized I should never be adamant about something without considering other options first.
For some reason, I still have a hard time making the volumetric soap model. I realized that I always start out with a lot of excitement when making a model, only to end up exhausted halfway through. This time, I felt like I worked a little faster, but that could be just because I wanted it over with. I was definitely not satisfied with the outcome. Due to my aversion to making soap models, I always end up putting it off until the very last minute. Perhaps next time I should try it first and see if it makes any difference.
Contrastingly, I found making cardboard models to be extremely enjoyable and rewarding. Since I had such fun from beginning to end, the many hours spent making the model went by quickly. The satisfaction of finally seeing my childhood home as it was with the final result was truly gratifying.
The experience of creating an exploded axonometric view of my childhood home in Sketchup was equally enjoyable.
In addition to the 3D model, I made two sketches to give a sense of the interior of my childhood home. Having difficulty deciding which views to sketch, I chose to sketch the first view a person would see as they enter the house and the bottom-most view of the staircase.
The final step was to place the childhood home on the cognitive map that I had made earlier. Making the house appear as part of the map was harder than just placing plans or sections on it.
Although the process was often difficult at times, seeing the seeing final product before my eyes is incredible.
As part of the last week of the module on designing a childhood home, we produced a final set of drawings and models.
To begin, I worked on my drawings. Making and rendering my plans and sections were a fairly simple task for me as I did not have many changes from my last iteration. Making the final set of drawings and the video of all the iterations of the design from the very first one to the final one made me feel proud of how far I had come. This feeling of accomplishment was accompanied by regrets about what could have been done more.
I enjoyed making the exploded axonometric model on SketchUp as well. Through a screen, I enjoyed seeing the different layers of my childhood home, but I was even more thrilled to make the 1:75 model.
My neighbourhood map incorporates a view of my childhood home’s first floor and terrace from the same SketchUp model. On the whole, I was happy with what the neighbourhood map looked like when I was done, though some parts needed to be changed to fit in.
However, I am extremely disappointed with how my physical model turned out. The time did not permit me to start over, even though I felt like I could have done a lot better.
In the process of making sketches of my house’s interior, I had so much fun. While I am not particularly fond of sketching, I spent quite some time on these sketches and I was pleased with the results, although I felt I could have sketched the human figures better.
It’s still hard to believe that this module is coming to an end. Although the journey has been long, it has been rewarding.