Prismatic Slices

Yet another week and new set of the routine morning exercises where to start, and I had assumed that it would be related to sketching humans or at least would involve sketching. But, the reading of the brief had ruled out both the possibilities since it was an exercise of drafting and making models, that would require precision and control, unlike the leisureness that the previous morning exercises offered. But, I had gotten accustomed to getting surprised and handling unprepared situations well enough to begin the exercise on a positive note. The schedule across the two weeks were to draft orthographic drawings and make physical models of each of the four prismatic configuration, while two days were reserved for solving time problems of that type.

Each of the configuration required sufficient time to be devoted to understanding how the configuration is, from its textual explanation of it. I had realised that the following step of making a model or drafting the drawings of the configuration, on each day, would require more than an hour of its morning schedule, and thus had mentally planned on how much time would be designated to each part of the process and how early I would have to wake up the night before the starting of the daily assignments. This allowed to have a clear mind and proceed swiftly to complete them within the ticking of the clock.

The making of the model was encouraged as the first of the two requirements for each configuration: the other being the drafted drawings. Prior to starting it, I had felt that the drafting of the orthographic drawings first would make the process of model making easier. But, the exercises proved the notion wrong and made me realise that my accustomisation to working primarily on two dimensional medium had made me biased towards developing that thought. In fact, while there difficulties in making both, the making of the model aided in the drafting of the drawings the next day, by acting as a physical reference, incase of any doubts raised while constructing the orthographic projections. The journey across the four configuration and the days of break in between them, which were used to make drawings, allowed to dwell on the mistakes made in the workmanship of the models and improve on them. The first configuration, which involved a truncated hexagonal prism, the truncated surface was cut separately and fixed on top of the prism, leading to gaps at a few vertices. Across the weeks, I had realised that a monolithic surface development of it and use of half cuts would require less effort to hold the form together while gluing its thin edges.

Models: The use of half cuts had improved the quality and ease of making models

The remaining alternate days, following the model making of each configuration, I had planned to make the drafted drawings of the given configurations. The technical correctness of the drawings were ensured along with the use of appropriate line weight and poché technique to visually communicate the information better. Despite having the model of the configuration, I had refrained from referring to it while making plans, section and elevations of the configuration. When in doubt about how a part of the drawing would be, I tried to visualise it mentally and resolve it. This helped to practice and strengthen my spatial visualisation ability, while working to resolve an issue within a time constraint. While following the same practice of scheduling my work, as done in model making, the mistake of accounting for the required amount of time and starting the work with just sufficient time to complete it was realised during the drafting of one of the configuration. The experience created an important awareness to always account for unexpected situation.

Orthographic Drawings: Appropriate visual representation of the technical drawings through line weights ensure easy readability of the information.

However, unlike the drafting and model making exercises, the time problem exercise required me to be on the toes and respond to the exercise with an alertness and presence of mind. The given time problem was to create an excavated model of of one’s childhood home from a thick thermocol sheet. Without much time to ponder on the exactness of the space, it was carved out proportionately from the mass of thermocol, leaving only the walls between them intact. It allowed to develop a knack for instinctively representing the spaces proportionately, while visualising the space within the mind. The emphasis on only carving out the spaces, instead of adding, ensured to develop a balance between correctness and swiftness of making the model, since the carved out spaces act as an inked impression that cannot be undone, unlike the redo-able quality of stacking elements.

Archaeology of My Home: The nature of medium allowed to easily carve the spaces while focusing on recollecting the spaces of my home from memory

Thus, the two week exercise of different technical representations developed within me a discipline of tuning the mind to work efficiently after waking up, while serving as a self-example of how continued practice on improving the flaws would always yield positive results.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s